Thomas "Smitty" Smith
SP UNLIMITED – New York (1997-1998, 2005-Present)
• Launched an independent company specializing in radio and marketing campaigns for all types and formats of musical product. Past and present clients include Atlantic Records, Cleopatra Records, Columbia Records, Eagle Rock Entertainment, Epic Records, Frontiers Records SRL, Reprise Records, Roadrunner Records, Sony/Masterworks, Napalm Records, RatPak Records, The End Records and Warner Bros. Records.
Additionally, contracted for long-term retainers with:
LOCOMOTIVE MUSIC – Madrid, Spain & Cologne, Germany (2006–2009)
• Head of U.S. Operations for European-based label, responsible for all aspects of distribution, sales, radio, marketing and advertising of their domestic releases.
• Staffed and supervised their US office with 7 employees to cover sales, press, radio, tour and online marketing.
LIVE NATION – New York, NY (2005-2008)
• Responsible for the creation and implementation of all promotional and marketing campaigns for music DVDs and CDs released by their Media Rights division (Ozzfest, Korn, Mariah Carey and Motley Crue)
EAGLE ROCK ENTERTAINMENT – New York NY
Director of Programming Production (2002-2005)
Senior Director, Promotions and Marketing (2002-2004)
• Product Manager for Tupac Shakur, Cher, Elvis Costello, The Pixies, DMX, Rick James, George Thorogood and many others..
• Promoted releases of hundreds of artists, such as: Black Label Society, Sebastian Bach, Alice Cooper, Twisted Sister, Dio, Ted Nugent, The Exploited, even TV shows such as The Mole & The Man Show
NG RECORDS/ARTEMIS RECORDS – New York NY (1998-2002)
Director National Rock Promotion
• Proud successes include having a leading share of the U.S. independent label market during my time there, including the breaking of Kittie and The Baha Men, plus releases from Spacehog, Warren Zevon, Kurrupt, Orange 9mm, Boston, Murphy’s Law, Jeffrey Gains, Dope and Steve Earle.
SONY MUSIC/EPIC RECORDS (1991-1997)
Manager, Artist Development
• Responsible for dozens of Platinum and Gold Records, including debut releases from Pearl Jam, Oasis, Korn, Rage Against The Machine, Fight and Incubus. Other career highlights include close work with Ozzy Osbourne, Alice Cooper, Iron Maiden, Suicidal Tendencies, Living Colour, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Social Distortion.
HYSTERIA PRODUCTIONS (1990-1991)
Stage Manager/Backline & Guitar Tech
• Toured with Babylon A.D., Every Mother’s Nightmare, Wrathchild America/Pantera and The Dickies
CONCRETE MARKETING AND MANAGEMENT (1988-1990)
Distribution Manager & Dirty Work
• Landmark Hard Music Marketing and Management company, responsible for thousands of releases. Among the many artists we worked with: Metallica, Megadeth, Limp Bizkit, Marilyn Manson, Aerosmith, Pantera, Ozzy Osbourne, Faith No More, White Zombie, Kid Rock, Tracey Chapman, Anthrax and Alice in Chains
ON YER BIKE (1998)
Assistant to Max Norman, Producer
• Engineered and assisted in production for CBS recording artists Roughhouse (“Roughhouse”) and Epic recording artists 220Volt (“Eye to Eye”).
Max’s contributions are legendary:
Ozzy Osbourne (incl. Blizzard of Ozz, Diary of a Madman, Bark at the Moon, Tribute)
Megadeth (incl. Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction, Youthanasia)
The Tubes, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Bad Company, Ian Hunter, Savatage , Grim Reaper, Lynch Mob, Y&T
• Dozens of Gold and Platinum Awards
• Received the Gavin Rocks nomination for Major Label Promotion Person of the Year for 1996
and WON for Major Label Promotion Person in 1997
New York Institute of Technology – Bachelor of Arts in Communication Arts
Specialization in Radio and Audio Recording
• Long Island Music Hall Of Fame, Event Committee Member, 2008-present
• Voting Member, R.I.A.A., 2005
• Associate Member, R.I.A.A., 1999-2004
• Board Member, The Bradlee Co-op, 2004-2005